Over a recent weekend, Tim, Dad and I opened our version of Monster Garage as we worked on converting Tim’s old tent trailer into a utility trailer. Our first step was to strip down the old tent trailer structure, right down to the rusted metal frame. Next, we bolted the deck, made of 2x6s, to the frame. Despite my best efforts, I managed to screw up the initial bolting stage by using 3″ carriage bolts instead of 2″ – I didn’t have a socket set to tighten the nuts on a 3″ long bolt! After removing the old bolts, we replaced them with the 2″ version which worked great. In addition, we used self-drilling screws to attach the uprights to the frame. The mid-span screws went in like butter but the frame corners, perhaps due to extra thick plates of metal were like, er, iron. We had to use a metal bit to screw through these sections and went back to the bolts instead of the metal screws.
Once the deck and the vertical stanchions were in place, we added the rail, three courses, and tailgate. The finished result was solid and square but it wasn’t known how much we could actually load into it; only one way to find out – load it! We hooked Bob up and towed the trailer to the North 40 where we loaded it about half full of dry firewood which it held just fine. Bob towed the loaded trailer with no problem, over grass and ruts, all the way back to the woodshed. We’re probably going to need to make couple more trips to clear up the firewood cut thus far.
This Monster Garage production was a challenge but we ended up with a utility trailer that will serve our three families for years to come!