This is the penultimate house update as we are literally a couple weeks from move in date. Over the last month, the beams were installed and kitchen cabinets mounted. In the mechanical room, we had the various tanks, boilers, wires and panels connected while outside the heat pump was delivered. I spent the last week helping the guys move the material for the sidewalks and patio so we have that mostly set up, ready to pour. Craig, Big Al and I moved some rocks, small and big, into various positions to form up the entry stairs and a short retaining wall. Overall, things are going nicely. The next update should be after the house is finished!!
It’s been a turbulent last six weeks and Christmas was a pretty sad time but life marches on and, despite our situation, the house construction progressed. Inside, electrical and plumbing was finished, boards hung followed by mud and tape and painting started. Outside soffit and siding was completed along with some work on well connection and perimeter drains. We also saw the cedar siding on the tall sections nearly finished which helped to blend the house into the landscape a little. The main things left to do, other than landscaping, include door installation, painting, trim and sills, install kitchen cabinets and bathroom vanities then finish electrical and plumbing. We’re nearly there.
I’m a bit late with this update but we’re well past lock-up now, with insulation and boarding on the sched for the next couple weeks. It has been really fun to see the windows and doors go in; the plumbing and electrical complete except for finishing; siding basically finished and trim well underway. The front of the great room and the kitchen garden have yet to be sided but that will be done soon. Tom, Ron and Chelsea have done amazing work and Craig and Al have kept everything moving forward; they’ve all been a great team. So far, I think everything is on track for our move-in early next year. Merry Christmas and Happy New Year to everyone!
When doing the winter fence project, we discovered a well in the hedgerow. With no end in sight to the never ending summer, I decided that today would be a good day to pump out the well and check the recovery rate. My neighbours Grant and Gerry helped out and Manuel made a quick appearance in a supervisory capacity. We discovered the well is about a metre in diameter by nearly six metres deep. Cleaning it wasn’t an experience for the squeamish or those with claustrophobia. Anyway, we’ll check the recovery rate tomorrow but hopefully we’ll be on to a new source of water for my winter planting project!
I’ve always liked making things but have’t had a lot of time up until recently. I decided to make an address sign for our place so dug out a couple 6×6 rough cedar posts, milled and planed it then biscuited it together, routed out some numbers, painted and clear-coated it then mounted the finished product. There are quite a few glitches on this project; dimensional post caps for non-dimensional wood; a few router slips (thanks to a scare one day from Manuel!) and a few slightly warped boards (clamping in one direction but forgetting the other) but overall it turned out OK. I may do another one this winter to improve a few techniques. I also have a rowboat to build but that, as they say, is another story.
A short while ago, I bought these used water tanks from a friend. The big one has a capacity of around 1600 litres, the small one I think maybe 1000. I’m going to use them to collect rain from the roof which I’ll then use to water our fruit trees instead of tapping the well. We’ve never run the well dry but why tempt fate!
Manuel and his cohort, he who shall not be named, descended on Knight tonight, hungry for a few projects. I’d been planning to whip up a stand for Bob’s auger but it was down on the list. Luckily the slave labour arrived and I was able to put my plan into action. This auger is a ‘bitch’ to get on to the tractor when it isn’t suspended so with this project now complete, taking the post-hole digger on and off will be a breeze. On to the next project! Enjoy the sunshine!
Awhile ago, we finished the fence with my neighbour to the east. I still have some more to do out the back (another 500 metres or so) but that’ll come in the next few months. Once done, we realized that now we don’t have a way to get back and forth across to each property so I dug out an old iron gate I found out the back, re-furbished it then hung it. The rainbow gate is the result!
The first section of the great fence project is complete; about 1000 feet of field fence, some clearing and a few other tidy-ups. I’m taking a break for a week but over the Christmas holiday, hope to get the back section of the property started. Overall, I’m quite pleased with how it turned out. Now I’ll just have to wait until September next year for the posts to really get cemented in to the ground as things dry and tighten. Thanks again to Manuel for his unceasing, unpaid labour!
Today, I cleaned up the pet’s room in the side building. It is a palace; couple ol’ couches and dog beds, nice and dry and offers accessibility to the yard. When in the back yard, Petal’s little house consisted of a big cardboard box stuff with a dog bed. She liked it but Daisy sometimes destroyed it and the whole thing was a bit junky so I decided to make her a little house. I used a few old shelves, some leftover flooring from my office renovation and a couple planks of the laminate in the house. She should be nice and comfortable in there in this cold weather!