I’ve always liked making things but have’t had a lot of time up until recently. I decided to make an address sign for our place so dug out a couple 6×6 rough cedar posts, milled and planed it then biscuited it together, routed out some numbers, painted and clear-coated it then mounted the finished product. There are quite a few glitches on this project; dimensional post caps for non-dimensional wood; a few router slips (thanks to a scare one day from Manuel!) and a few slightly warped boards (clamping in one direction but forgetting the other) but overall it turned out OK. I may do another one this winter to improve a few techniques. I also have a rowboat to build but that, as they say, is another story.
Another weekend in paradise! A stock phrase I seem to use a lot but it doesn’t get much better than the good ol’ Valley! Busy weekend – did some yard maintenance and lawn cutting and then started off Saturday with the hike to Ripple Rock (as per previous post). Josée needed a computer table in her storage room so I built one of those out of leftover floor panels then I decided to build a small box to cover the well pipe. Petal and Daisy don’t like walking over the gravel to get to the north 40 so I made a small walkway out of bricks for them; they’re using it a bit but I think I might have to re-work it into a wider path. One of our plum trees was ready for picking so we did, gathering over fifty pounds of plums. Have such a surfeit, I decided to make a few plum liqueurs so those will be ready in mid to late November. Off to hockey now – great way to end another weekend! Have a great week!
The side building at our house is like a rabbit warren, full of little rooms. We have a pottery studio and a pet house in there along with some storage and my workshop. The outside of the structure, however, is a dog’s breakfast of rotting tongue and groove, dripping fascia and decrepit water pipes. While I wanted to clean it up a bit, I didn’t want to rebuild it or spend a lot of money so I just cut the bottoms off the rotting boards, added some cedar cladding from Dove Creek Timber, dropped a window in from my brother’s dump pile, trimmed everything and painted the fascia. I added a box to cover in the tap manifold and built a few window boxes out of scrap for flower and herbs. It’s a cheap fix and at least cleans things up for the time being.