The side building at our house is like a rabbit warren, full of little rooms. We have a pottery studio and a pet house in there along with some storage and my workshop. The outside of the structure, however, is a dog’s breakfast of rotting tongue and groove, dripping fascia and decrepit water pipes. While I wanted to clean it up a bit, I didn’t want to rebuild it or spend a lot of money so I just cut the bottoms off the rotting boards, added some cedar cladding from Dove Creek Timber, dropped a window in from my brother’s dump pile, trimmed everything and painted the fascia. I added a box to cover in the tap manifold and built a few window boxes out of scrap for flower and herbs. It’s a cheap fix and at least cleans things up for the time being.
Old fences removed, sod (er..) turfed and a rough grade finished, it was time to move to installing the first few fence posts. Timber was provided by my friends at Dove Creek Lumber; we’ve got the fence posts as 6×6 Western Red Cedar, the windows as 2×4 and the rails – well, I haven’t finalized that decision yet. The nice thing about our lumber is that it is all non-dimensional, rough and thick; a 2×4 is actually 2×4 and so on.
We started setting our fence lines using some batter boards I’d cut. Apart from the pets moving the lines about a bit, we got things square which is a major achievement as nothing on this property is square. We decided to square things off the house mostly, ignoring the side building as they work at slight odds to each other. We came up with a fence design to keep as much of the view as possible, using lagged bolted 2×4 windows to create a sense of openess – at least, that is the theory on paper. Manuel recruited another labourer, Jorge, who joined us for a few hours here and there; six hands are better than four. Next phase – more fence posts and some windows!