Well, it’s been a busy few weeks as we finished the site prep, got the footings done and foundation walls poured, box filled and compacted and perimeter drains set. I’ve had lots of fun working on this project so far and the guys have been very encouraging – although secretly I think they liking me help out as I can be the grunt on site.
Manuel, Manuelito and I finished the poles for about 450 metres of fencing and we’ll be stringing the wire in the next week or so. We had a bit of trouble with some of the posts as the augur drilled into a clay-like material which just kept sucking the bit down but after extracting a couple poles with the excavator, we managed to press on.
Over the weekend, Magnifico Construction and I managed to put together the first bay of Bob’s new abode. After some mental acrobatics regarding post levels, spacing and anchors, we managed to get the first three uprights set, square and level in three dimensions! We tied them into the ledger board with some strapping before figuring out the rafters which went up quickly. Adding some cross supports tightened up the whole structure. We had a little challenge trying to get the north end of the shed up and over the slope of the existing building but with the aid of three cantilevered braces cut at rough 45s we managed to get it supported. Next step, adding the second bay. Stay tuned!
As the Raider’s anthem so aptly states, the “autumn wind is a pirate, blustering in from the sea. With a rollicking song he sweeps along swaggering boisterously.” The autumn wind is upon us and in the Comox Valley that means one thing: rain. Now before I get too carried away, let me remind my readers from parts elsewhere that contrary to popular belief, we don’t get six months of rain here. In fact, we don’t get three months or two months. We get a lot of grey, overcast days which sometimes make it feel like it is raining! Compared to a few other cities, the Comox Valley’s seasonal rainfall is quite reasonable. Of course, we all know the axiom regarding statistics!
That said, poor ol’ Bob has a house with a leaky roof and I need to solve this problem. In addition, the trailer Tim, Dad and I just built needs a shelter from the monsoon. After some careful consideration, I determined that the existing lean-to shelter is pretty much done and needs to be dismantled. I will salvage all the wood and the metal sheeting and use it in another project in some fashion or another. I’ve sourced my new lumber locally, from a responsible supplier. I just have to pick it up, finish the dismantling process and start construction. It sounds so simple.
My normal M.O. when doing these bigger projects is to think about the end result whilst omitting some of the specifics regarding measurements, calculations or design features. My childhood dreams of being an architect were probably best left as dreams!! That said, I’m hoping that I nail this project. I’ve measured three times not twice and even have my laser level out! This weekend past, I dismantled the existing framework. This weekend coming I hope to start the construction phase.